Trails and Maps
General Information about ACLT Trails
ACLT maintains 19 miles of self-guided hiking trails. The public is welcome to enjoy ACLT's trails. The trails are provided free of charge, but maintaining the trails is not without cost. If you enjoy visiting our trails, please consider becoming an ACLT member and/or volunteer.
Guided nature hikes are offered seasonally, led by ACLT volunteers and/or staff. Click on the Calendar of Events to register.
ACLT has three trailheads—one on the north and one on the south side of Parkers Creek and one in Prince Frederick, Maryland, in central Calvert County. Use the map and directions at the bottom of this page to find ACLT from your own location.
Occasionally, trails may be closed for a variety of reasons. In case of trail closures, an 'Important Notice to Hikers' will appear on the ACLT Home Page.
ACLT Trailhead Rules
- We ask hikers to sign in at each trailhead. A sign-up sheet and pen are provided. Demographic information as well as hiker observations are collected and used by the ACLT staff for a variety of purposes including grant applications and other reporting requirements.
- Stay on the trails at all times. Trails are designed to minimize adverse impacts of recreational use on sensitive areas.
- Trails are open to the public from dawn to dusk. All areas are closed at dark.
- Pets must be leashed at all times; Please clean up after your pet.
- Smoking and fires are not allowed.
- Bicycles are allowed on the South Side - East Loop Trail only.
- Motorized Vehicles (such as ATVs) and horses are not allowed.
- Leave no trace. Please do not collect or remove anything from the property (including wood, plants, animals, artifacts, etc.) and do not litter.
Location of Trails
Directions to the North Side Trailhead: Go 2 miles east on Dares Beach Road (Route 402) from the light on Solomons Island Road (Routes 2/4) in Prince Frederick. Turn right on Double Oak Road and drive 1 mile. Turn left onto the gravel lane at the ACLT sign. Follow the lane past the white house (ACLT Office) to the Visitor Parking. After parking, please sign in at the Trailhead Information Center on the porch at the barn. A North Side Trails Map (PDF format) can be printed out here. Trail maps are also available near the sign-in box at the barn.
Directions to the South Side Trailhead: Go 4 miles south on Solomons Island Road (Routes 2/4) from the intersection of Hallowing Point Road (Route 231) in Prince Frederick. Turn left on Parkers Creek Road, cross Route 765 and turn right onto Scientists Cliffs Road. Drive .8 miles to the ACLT parking lot on the left. A South Side Trails Map can be printed out here. Trail maps are also available at the sign in box at the ACLT Barn.
Directions to Prince Frederick Trailhead: From the intersection of Solomons Island Road (Routes 2/4) and Hallowing Point Road (Route 231) turn left onto Church Road and right onto Main Street. Proceed 1 1/2 blocks South on Main Street. Turn left onto Vianney Lane and proceed to the back parking area of St. John Vianney Catholic Church. The trailhead will be on your right. A PF2BAY Trail Map can be printed out here. Trail maps are also available at the sign in box at the trailhead.